I was filling out a report we need to complete each year for 3 years and then every 3 years until Sean is 18....questions about our adopted son's adjustment, development andd what he's accomplished and learned....
and it got me thinking, what has he really learned so far? What have I learned? and what do I really want him and I to learn?
What has he learned?
that he has a Mama and a Daddy--who never change, who are always there everyday to take care of him
to be a part of a family with brothers and sisters of his own
to eat with a family at a family table
to PRAY (it is so precious when puts his hands together and says a prayer that only he and God understands
to pucker his lips to give/receive kisses
to hug
many English words (its amazing how adjustable he is--I can't imagine being thrusted into a home with a different language and adapted so well)
how to communicate for the first time with signs so someone can understand him
to share
to play with a babydoll
that wrestling with big brother is so much fun!
to "read" a book
to wait and to listen (well, sometimes!)
to cuddle
more of God's creation--seeing the ocean, the hills, animals, etc
to sit on Daddy's lap while he reads a really important book--the Bible
to sing with joy
to pretend (ie. cooking food, talking on the phone)
to put on his clothes (with encouragement)
to play with toys
music that is beautiful
that carrides mean you go somewhere fun
to begin speaking words
to help, ie. throwing things away, picking up a toy
that babies are precious...he gets a twinkle in his eye when he sees our 8 month old and just loves touching him
goodnights (kisses hugs songs and prayer)
I know there are many more things he's learned and I thank God for them.
What do I want Sean (and Lacie) to learn? I should think about this more!
that they are safe
that they are loved and cared for
that God loves them and made them special
to love and obey the Lord
to go to sleep peacefully--without rocking themselves
to be content and at peace and patient with himself and others
I know what I've learned is still a work in progress...I've learned
how impatient and imperfect my "love" is as a mother
how much I need the Lord to be the mother He intends for Sean and every one of our children
how easy it is to get caught up in the moment and forget the important
how easy it is to forget where Sean came from and why he does the things he does
there isn't a quick fix to behaviors Sean developed to cope with his life in an orphanage and without the love of a mommy and daddy
that I had stereotypical expectations (for instance, Sean is not naturally happy all the time...while very sweet and joyful some of the time, his tendency is to fuss/complain)....
that every child with Down Syndrome (or any disability) is going to be unique creation by God
that my children's weatknesses/sins just show their need for God and its my ministry to point them to Him and to shepherd them with His wisdome and power
that I am a sinner in need of God's grace, first for salvation but also to be made more like Him as I learn to die to myself and live for Him. Just as I can't save myself (only through faith in Christ is salvation), neither can I do right on my own strength but as I seek Him, He can/will enable me to walk in His ways and be the wife and mother and child He made me to be
when I faulter He is faithful to forgive and lift me up..."if we confess our sin, God is faithful to forgive us or sin and cleanse us from all unrighteousness" 1 John 1:9
Its all about Him. When we welcome an orphan into our lives, who may not be able to give anything back, He is glorified. When we humble ourselves, admit our sin and need for Him, and He helps us...He is glorified. When he provides what we can't provide, He is glorified.
What do I want to learn?
to have God's heart and His perspective and see those around me as He does
to forgive easily --remembering all He has forgiven me
to love Sean and each of my children the way God love us...
not in getting something from them but in the giving of oneself as Christ did when He laid down His life on the cross knowing we could never give him anything but he did it out of love for the Father and for us. ("This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down His life for us and we ought to lay down our lives for one another"....forget where that one is)
to be really with my family--and those around me--and be thankful
to trust and depend on God to be the wife and mother He made me to be
by His working in me, to have the fruit of the Spriit evident in my life...
"The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, kindness,goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control..." (Galatians 5:23)
to be quick to repent when I don't act so and press on in His forgiveness
Thank you Lord for all that you are teaching us and what you have in the future.
Monday, May 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













No comments:
Post a Comment