If I had to pick the one child I would most like NOT to need glasses, it would be our LIly May.
When she smiles she looks like a sweet angel...and she is...but she also is affectionately known in our home as "Miss destructo." When we brought LIly home she did not play with anything. She did one thing with things...she THREW them. We had to constantly watch her. She developed some behaviors from the orphanage (and not growing up with love and training of a family) of biting, pinching and hitting. She has gotten much better with this... and she is learning to "play" with toys and babies now. Lily is also just learning to feed herself with a spoon because she'd throw the spoon and her food on the floor. We have to do it hand over hand. Lily is always swiping at MY glasses and grabbing or knocking them off and we often have to hold Lily's arms as she just doesn't have the self control to not grab and swipe at things around her.
So, all that to say, my daughter Naomi and I couldn't help but smile in disbelief when we found out she needed glasses herself. The opthalmologist said that once she "sees" that she can see so much easier that she will leave them on... I hope so, though it will take alot of work training her. I know though that it will help her so much so it is worth the effort. Basically, Lily is very far sighted so it takes alot of effort for her to see things closer up and is likely just focusing enough to see things but not focusing 20:20 (takes too much effort) so her brain will not develop her seeing ability to the maximum. Having the glasses will enable her to focus 20:20 all the time so her brain gets used to that...something like that.
I'm looking into the glasses available before we plunge in to it and so far it sounds like the special shaped glasses for kids with DS (Specs 4 U) would be easily destroyed by LIly (even though they are so cute) so I'm leaning towards getting one known for being indestructible (Miraflex)for her first glasses.
LIly also has a nystagmus where her eyes flutter alot which may improve with the glasses which I really hope as it seems like it would be so hard to focus.
Anyway, thats our update!
If you have any advice from your experience with glasses let me know!













No comments:
Post a Comment