Saturday, June 30, 2012
I have the sweetest children. They get excited about helping others. When they heard our friends the Rogers were going back to adopt a 2nd time, they immediately got busy making necklaces, bracelets and learning how to crochet some new things (like children's sunbonnets and purses) to try to raise funds for them. They know how much it costs, they remember how we labored, yardsaled, ebayed, put on fundraisers, and how others helped us when we adopted twice from the Ukraine.
God opened their eyes and burdened their hearts for the orphans-- in particular orphans with disabilities. Its a joy to see them all work together for a precious cause.
Do you know what happened?
We started going through our house, collecting stuff for a yardsale, and helped put on one along with a few families from our church to benefit the Roger's adoption.
My girls brought along their entire collection of handmade items just in case someone was interested....lots of people liked them but noone bought anything, probably they came looking for cheap used stuff.
That was okay--as I warned them of that.
But, somehow in all the busyness of the day, one of the helping hands there accidentally put the bag of handmade items into the wrong van...the one going to GOODWILL when the yardsale was over!!!
OH my, that was so very hard! We figured there were probably about 5 crochetted purses, 3 sunbonnets, some headbands, air fresheners, 8 potholders/dishcloths,6 adult necklaces, 6 girl's necklaces, and maybe 50 bracelets..... it made me sick to my stomach to think of how much time and effort (not to mention their own cash) to make all of those items. (Did you know it took me 2 weeks to make my first purse:) I felt so sad for my daughters especially.
This momma tried her best--I called the Good will, talked to managers, went in the store and also to the outlet next door and talked to that manager. She brought out the lastest trough of stuff thats brought over and we couldn't find their stuff anywhere. They process that stuff so fast, it was either already bought in the store or in a warehouse somewhere! I thought I'd cry right there.
Anyway, they have taken it in stride. Their kind daddy said he'd even reimburse them. I know in the big scheme of things this is a little thing, but its so hard when your kids face difficult things. I'm so very proud of them. They raised about $138 so far, and they are still taking special orders on their blog until they can remake things.
But, we know God is able to more than make up the difference for this family. We found out that currently there is a MATCHING GRANT where someone will match the funds if $1000 is donated to the Rogers family (they will get another $1000!)
So if you'd like to bless our girls and help this great family, please to donate at their sponsor page: http://reecesrainbow.org/34547/sponsorrogers-2
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













No comments:
Post a Comment