Not too many times does the job of posting get relinquished to me, as Traci and Haylee keep the blog amply busy, but I thought it high time for me to add something. For those of you preparing to travel to the Ukraine, along with the excellent advise you have received from those who have gone before us, I thought I would add some thoughts:
1) Do whatever you can to at least learn the cyrillic letters and what they sound like. Cyrillic is the letter style that is the basis for Russian and other slavic languages. I had the benefit of studying biblical Greek in seminary, so this made this a bit easier for me. You willl find that while in Ukraine, if you can pronounce the words on the signs, you will figure out some of what the store/restaurant/etc. is. Some words on signs are pure transliterations of "English" words. This will also help you pick up some stuff over here.
If you have a bit more disposable time on your hands, I can recommend http://www.livemocha.com/. It helped me the 2 months I studied on it to get some basic useful words and work on pronounciation.
2) Do not come too judgmental. What I mean is this: I am assuming that most reading this post are believers in the Lord Jesus Christ. Most people here are not. We are warned in 1 Corinthians to not judge the unbeliever on their behavior. Does this make what they do in the sight of the Lord right? By no means! But these people often don't know their right from their left hands when it comes to "godly" behavior.
You will see some things at the orphanages, even nicer ones like we are at with Sean, that will at best make you scratch your head, and at worst make you bite your tongue and increase your blood pressure. However, we who have had the benefit of growing up in a country that was founded on biblical ideals on the backs of godly individuals, and we cannot imagine the moral bankruptcy of a country that grew up for some 70 years under the thumb of a godless Soviet dictatorship. This does not mean that there are no good people here trying to take good care of these children, but their basis is Darwinism, and that worldview affords no love for those who are not "fittest."
Let your love for these children with special needs be light and salt as a sharing of the gospel without words to those in spiritual darkness.
Also, we have to remember there is pressure on parents with newborn special needs children to put these children in the orphanages and have nothing to do with them, in part, because the healthcare system here is not good. Ukranians feel that children and the raising of them is a key to good family life, and if the parents feel they cannot provide for their child, they may be made to believe the state can do better.
So, come without any judgment in your heart, armed with the love of Christ, and pray for the Holy Spirit to work mightily in Ukraine!
3) If you take a taxi, be prepared to not have seatbelts available, or to have the driver indicate to you that you do not need one. This is a personal offense to the drivers here, because by state law they are not allowed to wear seatbelts, and they feel you are saying they are not good drivers by wearing them. I have chosen not to wear one, in part because my wife and kids could not find available ones in the back, but also because I felt the God is in more control than a seatbelt, and I wish to be a witness as much as possible here. I am an ardent seatbelt wearer in the states, since as a physical therapist I have seen my share of head injuries.
You will have to make your own decision on this one of course. Just be patient with the drivers. They make next to poverty level income.
4) Speaking of income, don't be surprised by the number of doctors you see on hand at the orphanages. At ours, there are 5, as well as the head doctor/principle. This is because the average state doctor makes approx 2500 grivnas (about 312 USD) per month. Many professionals get a pittance to live on here.
5) There are no Starbucks, so be prepared to suffer latte-withdrawel! :)
As other things come to mind, I may post them. If you know of others coming to the Ukraine for adoption, pass it on. Also, I welcome comments of other less commonly known helpful hints.
Thursday, May 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













1 comment:
Thanks for sharing this. You give a good perspective of how life is there. We have been continually praying for you all, but we will now include praying for the people of the Ukraine, and that your witness will stir a desire in them to know more about Jesus Christ.
Ali
Post a Comment