Hello all,
We went to court today. Before it began, Irina warned us that the prosecuting attorney was a real difficult person to deal with (this is an understatement). He argues everything to the letter of the law. She was very right.
When you go into court, it is very intimidating, because you feel as though you have to prove yourself before all these stern looking people, even after you have gone to all the trouble you have. You realize that everything rests on the decision there. All the money, time, and people's help along the way could be wasted due to someone's decision.
The first delay came at the very beginning, when the prosecuting attorney stated that he did not believe the children we were adopting were special needs, and demanded that the doctor from the orphanage be present at the hearing. Fortunately, one came (she is very nice).
The court started in the usual way, with us stating our names, DOB, etc, and then going into why we wanted to adopt children with disabilities, especially when we already had 7 children. At first, Traci and I were sweating, because the judge and 2"jurors" that sit with him did not appear to understand how we could possibly want to adopt more, and special needs children on top of that. Traci and I gave I believe good testimonies, and we prayed throughout. She actually did better that I, because I could feel my "Irish" was up (heart pounding, voice getting a little "forceful" in my argument). She was calm appearing (Thank God for Traci). The prosecuting attorney stated that the State was missing a form that stated that the children had no siblings. The court acknowledged this, but stated that the SDA had given approval, that there was no record of siblings, and therefore the court decided in favor of us.
Jubilation turned to sorrow, however.
In the Ukraine, the prosecuting attorney has authority over the court. The attorney overruled the judge's decision, and we must now provide the court with these forms by Monday AM, when we will re-appear at 10 AM. Everyone, including the judge, appeared irritated by this lawyer's actions.
If I didn't believe that God is ultimately in control, and that He has a plan in all this, there would have been a prosecuting attorney on the floor with a bloody nose after the hearing. Seriously, we obviously have several prayer requests that we share with you now:
1) That we can forgive this prosecuting attorney. He reminds us of the Accusor, who looks for any letter of the law to attempt to thwart the grace of our Lord.
2) The change in flight alone will cost us an additional $750, and this is not including lost wages from potentially more missed work days, extra accomodation days, extra transportation costs, etc.
3) Our children at home, especially Aidan (who has limited Mommy milk at home while we are gone). We so miss them and want to be home NOW.
4) That everything will indeed be ready on Monday, that there will be no further delay.
5) For understanding from my employer.
6) For our upcoming move to Virginia- this now will push our second trip back by a week, and that means one less week of packing when I get back with the children. Traci and the children left behind will need God's grace for packing what they can without me there.
7) Most of all, for our witness of Christ's love in this. We are angry, frustrated, sad, and confused all at one time. We need His strength even more now. Please Lord, deliver us!
Thank you for your thoughful prayers and comments. We realize we are not alone in this. We wouldn't be here, this far, without our loving Lord and the fellowship of the family of God.
John
Friday, July 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













4 comments:
What a disappointing setbeck. I pray it all gets straightened out quickly. Hang in there!
Oh Adamson's...we are SO sorry to hear this very sad and frustrating news. This is so hard to understand why God would allow it but He has and He WILL see you all through it. We can only imagine how you must feel and now are more nervous than ever about our court. Plans for us are to fly out at 6:20 am from Kiev going to Amsterdam then to Minneapolis. Thoughts and prayers are with you always. Hang in there! God will wrap His arms around your kiddos back home.
We are so sorry about the delay!
WE MISS YOU SO MUCH!!!!!
Love you lots, and praying!
Love,
Haylee
I am so sorry you had such a rough time today. I am glad with all feelings aside that you know our GOD is the ultimate judge/jury. I'm sure your witness will shine through. I pray it has to Irina. This whole adoption process is a testimony of God's amazing power. I am grateful HE is using you in some of the most difficult times. I pray for ALL of the details to line up in your favor, in Jesus name. Two little lives depend on it. Know that we are praying for you & thinking of you & your precious family. Can't wait until your ALL under one roof together.
Blessings,
Meghan
Post a Comment